Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 19, 2018, 02:59:57 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Having emerged from hibernation, the intrepid game designer's brain begins slowly ticking over....

+  Spare Brains Games
|-+  General Category
| |-+  Upcoming Conventions
| | |-+  RinCon 2009 After-Action Report
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: RinCon 2009 After-Action Report  (Read 3012 times)
Wayne Zombie
Administrator
Mindless Corpse

View Profile
« on: November 15, 2009, 12:39:53 PM »

RinCon is a game convention in its second year in Tucson, AZ, organized by SAGA, the Southern Arizona Game Association.  It was held over Columbus Day weekend at the Tucson Convention Center and WAS A BLAST!  Guests of honor included Wil Wheaton, Jess Hartley and Kelley Barnes of White Wolf Games, Steve Jackson Games' Munchkin Czar Andrew Hackard, Shane Hensley who created the Deadlands RPG, John Wick who authored the Legend of the Five Rings and the 7th Sea RPGs, Paul Tevis game designer and creator of the Have Games, Will Travel podcast, Rick Loomis of Flying Buffalo, James Ernest of Cheap Ass Games fame and authors Mike Stackpole, Jeff Mariotte, and Janni Lee Simner.  Unfortunately I did not run any games as I did not get my schedule until after the program book cutoff, but I gave away several copies of Zombie Cafe to various podcasters, game stores, and to Wil Wheaton, hoping for some mention and buzz.  I attended an amazing number of panels on game design and podcasting and had a huge amount of fun.

I will DEFINITELY attend next year and get in early enough to have scheduled demos and playtests.  Who knows, if the tables are cheap enough, maybe I'll even buy a table in the dealer's room.

One thing that was totally coincidental and amazingly cool was the convention hotel was also hosting a VBOB gathering: Veterans of the Battle of the Bulge.  I could not serve in the military for various health reasons though my family has a history of service: my father's only brother died at Guadal Canal, various uncles and cousins served in World War II and Vietnam and their kids have served in the various Persian Gulf conflicts.  I spoke with several of these VBOB gentlemen and thanked them for their service.  World War II history has always been a weakness for me, so I pulled up the Bulge on my computer and did some reading, and was amused to find out that I was born on the official start date of the war: December 16.  A few years later, admittedly, but still it was an interesting little thing.

http://www.rincongames.com/

http://southernarizonagamersassociation.org/
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length